6/7/14

Yay horse trainers!

Went back out to a lady's house today that we had previously bought a few small things from. I bought a pair of green splint boots from her and we chatted for awhile again. She has been training horse for 30+ years, from everything to Western Pleasure to Hunter Jumpers. We talked for quite awhile and she ended up taking a look at few videos of Red after I mentioned how rough his trot/canter is. She said that she's dealt with a lot of rough gaited horses and has been able to help all of them, explained what could be causing it and etc. She said that he isn't collecting properly and she would love to come out and work with us. She also gave me pointers on keeping my back straight and my stirrups. She said that she could probably help his gait out a ton in just a few weeks, so I'm really excited for her to come see him and check him out. She showed me some exercises to do every day for a few weeks to help with my heels/back as well.

I admit, having someone really experienced to talk to is quite nice. ;)

In other news, the front pasture is officially completely fenced!! We went with 6 strands of barbless wire on one side and 7 foot horse fencing on the rest. Super, super safe. Now, we start on a run-in and stalls/tack rooms/hay loft and start baling hay. If anyone in Tennessee needs good quality hay, let me know. We'll be selling some for sure.

I definitely want to get someone out to the property to help me occasionally with stuff, maybe have a few short lessons. I don't want to show but I don't want to have horrible EQ or have no skills, plus Red has so much potential and I want him to be able to reach that.

Going to go on a road-trip tomorrow, then need to get to the barn and get some of the tack that we don't need there and bring it home so we have the necessities at the barn and nothing more so it's less difficult when we finally move the ponies. I also need to trim Red's bridlepath, fetlocks and etc, check on Spirit's hooves since he's barefoot now and I'm hoping to at least get a lunging session/liberty work this week.

Ugh, life is busy.

9 comments:

  1. Experienced people are good to have around, but a "rough gait" has a lot to do with how the horse is built and therefore you may not be able to improve it in the way you want...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even she said that it could be conformational, but if he isn't collecting, how would he be smooth? He isn't using his body how he needs to, which granted could be conformation, but I've had quite a few people look at him who have trained eyes and see nothing but a slightly straighter shoulder that we cause his gait to be rough. The shoulders could do it, but not as bad as he is. I'm not expecting miracles, but I might as well try. :)

      Delete
  2. Don't grow up, life will get busier! ;) Good to hear that things are moving along though - keep going!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! If only I had that option, I'd make Red and I freeze in our current ages. ;)

      Delete
  3. Yay for experienced person to help! Glad that she knows how to possibly smooth up Red's gaits. I'm not always the best with heel sand back either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you have a lot of great things coming up!

    ReplyDelete