4/23/13

I-Itchy horses and day 8 & 9

Sorry I didn't do any of the challenges yesterday. If you read my previous post, you will know why.

It was a hard day yesterday and I just wanted to have a more easy going night and get my mind off of that for awhile. I didn't really talk about Red at all, so I'll be filling y'all in on that, too. :) I have to post on both of my current blogs today because the other one's been a little ignored. :))

Today's letter is "I" and I'll be talking about itchy horses, something I know my fair share about because of Red. This won't be super in depth because I just don't have the time, but if you have any questions I'll try my best to answer them. Also, if you have any horse related or me related questions that aren't even about itchiness-lol!-feel free to ask! :)

Sweet itch is something that many horses suffer from. Sweet itch, also called Queensland itch, is a medical condition in Equines caused by allergic responses. When I first got Red, I believed that he suffered from sweet itch, now, I think it's all from a fly spray allergy, but Red did have some similar symptoms.
File:Sweet itch.jpg
From Wiki
You will see broken hairs, bald patches, sometimes bleeding skin, even on the tail. Here is a list of treatment and prevention ideas:
Few treatments are fully efficacious once lesions have appeared. The only effective form of treatment is preventitive - i.e. prevent further insect bites - so these techniques will also be discussed here. Treatments generally fall into one of the following categories:
1) Insecticides and Repellents: These may be applied to the horse or its environment. The most commonly used and effective are permethrins. and benzyl benzoate Citronella has been used, with variable effect. Some sources advocate draining of any stagnant water or pools, to reduce the local breeding potential of the insects. Midge numbers are often larger near water sources, for example ponds, bogs, and slow moving water. Moving the horse away from these areas may help to prevent further problems.

2) Barrier Techniques: Rugs etc., that prevent flies and midges settling on the animal's skin to bite. These include "Boett Rugs" and fly masks. In addition, thin screens may be placed over stable doors and windows to exclude biting insects.[Stabling the horse at times of day when the midges are most prevalent is also quite effective.
3) Immunotherapy: A wide variety immunotherapy and desensitisation protocols have been trialled in attempts to reduce or modify the immune response, with variable success rates. So far, there appear to be none that show a benefit in more than a very small, statistically insignificant, number of cases. The most recent trial results have not yet been published, however, BioEos is confident that the results will be positive and has said that the 2007 series will be the "final" trials for the product. The BioEos vaccination protocol is designed to shift the immune system from a Th2 (theoretically allergy-producing) to Th1 (non-allergy producing) mode.
4) Nutritional supplements: Various supplements may be effective in individuals, including fatty acid supplemantation and linseed oil. However, although owners perceived an improvement, this was not bourne out by objective statistical analysis.
5) Symptomatic Control: Control of symptoms to some degree can be achieved with antihistamines (especially hydroxyzine, and with corticosteroids, although the potential side effects (e.g. laminitis, immune suppression) make this a less preferred option. In addition, antibiotics may be required to manage any secondary infection.
6) Alternative Medicines: A wide variety of herbal, homeopathic and other alternative remedies have been suggested. Among the natural remedies suggested are sulfur, wild geranium (as the base for a shampoo), Lavender oil, Aloe vera (to reduce the itching).
Overall, the wide variety of treatments proposed leads to the conclusion that no one method is universally effective.

Some people recommend putting Avon's skin-so-soft on the effected areas.





Okay, so, I will be skipping challenge number 7 in the 30 day because I have never won a ribbon! Lol! I don't show, sooooo........I will actually be doing day number 8 and 9, since I missed yesterday. 

First one, day 8: A little about the barn/stable you are at. 

Here are some pictures of the farm!

Horses in the 10 acre pasture

In the 10 acres

Gate leading to ten acre pasture

The girls in the 4 acre

The fence dividing the colts/filly pasture.

Nice stall doors and Red's currently sedated head peeking out! This was after a teeth floating.
This is the fruit and berry patch right next to the farm that we occasionally ride in.

The owner of the patch and one of Red's biggest fans. :)

I board at a farm with over 35 acres of pasture. There are also trails, a running creek all along the property where the horses can drink, and an old tobacco barn that has been transformed into a horse barn! The horse's have constant access to shelter, and almost constant access to the barn. They have free reign to every part of the farm, trails and all, and really live like horses, not just stalled up all the time, which is what I love the most. There are three people who are there. John, the owner, Craig, the leaser, Ann, a fellow boarder who takes care of the horses and etc, and us. Oh, and Craig's wife and Ann's husband! :) Craig is currently in Florida until June, which is why you don't often hear about him. He'll be back soon though, very excited to see him! He is the owner of Hercules, Lady, Trigger and Chip.
Chip


Hurk

Trigger is the palomino on the left.
Lady

Bella and Trigger

 Ann is the owner of Bay, Bella, Jericho, Tucker, Patches and I believe that's it! Lol! Hard to keep track. :)
Me riding Patches
Jericho
Bay
And John owns Raven, his first horse!
 

Sorry if I didn't post pictures of all of Ann's  horses...you'll see them around! :) Blogger is being funky and keeps messing with my pictures.... I could only post those couple.
The horse's at the barn are almost all rescues. :) Not sure about Craig's horses, though.

Now, day 9: Any injuries you have gotten from riding. 

The only injury I've gotten is a couple big bruises! Nothing major. :)

Sorry for the long post! Lol!

No comments:

Post a Comment