9/26/14

September's 10 Questions

This month's 10 questions posted by L at Viva Carlos :)

  1. Is there something you don't like about your riding? Two major things  - I can't keep my heels down to save my life, although I'm improving. I can't sit the canter without giving up 2 minutes later and flopping.
  2. Does your horse buck? Red is definitely not a bucker. I've only ever seen him buck when he is turned out to play after having to be stalled or when we let him out in a new pasture. He's never bucked under saddle.
  3. Is your horse head shy?No - Red loves having his head rubbed and messed with. He'll shove his head in your arms until you pet him. He lowers his head in his bridle perfectly. The only thing he dislikes is putting fly spray and etc on his face. I think it's the smell.
  4. Favorite barn chore to do?There's really not any barn chore that I dislike, honestly, so it's hard to pick a favorite.
  5.  
  6. How many times do you ride a week? Ugh. Right now once a week or so. Aiming for 2-3x a week come October.
  7. Who is your favorite pro rider? I don't really follow many pro's. If I could pick my favorite rider just in general, I'd have to say Buck Brannaman. He's a professional trainer so I guess that counts. I love how fluid and natural he looks on a horse and how well he treats them.
  8. If one pro rider could train you for one day who would it be? My lifelong dream is to go to a Buck clinic.
  9. Favorite Facial Marking? I didn't use to like blazes until we got Shalom. I prefer either a small star and a big snip, just a small star or no markings at all. I love Red's markings, too.
  10. Leg Markings or No Leg Markings? No markings. I'm the weirdo who doesn't like chrome. I was excited when I found out Shalom had no chrome, I really don't like bay's with chrome either. :P
  11. Ever broken anything falling off? Nope, not yet, at least. So far I've only broken my pinkie finger which, btw, made using reins extremely difficult...

2 comments:

  1. If you are having trouble putting your heels down, try to imagine that there are weights tied to your heels that are pulling them down (I find the IDEA of it helps with the concept). You may also need to shorten your stirrups also.

    I love that Red is such a cool, chill guy. I used to ride horses who would buck/rear and the whole nine yards. Sometimes I miss the "airs above ground" maneuvers, but on most days, I love how quiet and calm Suz is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have another suggestion for heels. Shoving my heels down made me tense so my trainer told me instead of thinking about heels down think about toes up. It worked GREAT!! It's amazing what a difference it makes. Also for cantering some people have luck using a neck strap on the horse and using it to pull yourself down into the saddle until you figure out how to follow with your body (since you ride western you can use the horn but it's not as easy to grip I don't think). You don't have to use it all the time. It's just to help you get the feel for it. :D Keep up the great work. You will get there!

    A lot of our answers were the same. Star/snip is one of my favorite face markings!!

    ReplyDelete