10/21/13

Double Post!

Sorry for another post. ;) if you want the gory details on my ride and a bruise, go ahead and go back to the previous post, but I want to kind of talk about the headway I'm making with Red. Yesterday, I trotted/cantered quite a lot and I felt like his trot was a lot smoother, even AM said she thinks it looks better and she's only seen me ride him like three times, all of which have been very recent. Mom made a comment yesterday about how all he needed was a young girl who wasn't afraid to get her hands dirty and just make him move, everyone else almost seemed afraid of his gait, I mean, he's only been cantered like 12 times undersaddle in his life, not counting the few times I have in the past two rides. I'm not gonna lie, it's still rough, but I don't know..,maybe it's improving. Mom said that I'm just getting used to it, but it literally went from feeling SO rough last week to SO much smoother this week. I started T25 this week, so maybe I'm in better shape, but I doubt it would make that big of a difference in my seat and posting the trot after four workouts. I've moved on from trot work to canter work, although I'm still doing a lot of trotting up and down the hills because he still needs to do that as well, maybe that's what's helping. Maybe he's actually evening himself out and realizing what he's supposed to do,  because I honestly think he was clueless about where and when he moved his feet when going faster than a walk. Then, I also changed my tack some in the past two weeks. Started using a new pad and saddle, but I had used several different saddles and pads on him, all that fit perfectly, and they made zero difference. Even his walk looks better.
Dressage horse in the making.

Someone commenting on one photo and said he looked like he could be a very amateur dressage prospect with his stride. Yeah, he didn't have that stride a few weeks ago!
(Disregard my EQ, I hate this photo for the very reason but it shows his trot) He went from this...
To this.

 He's stretching now, and he literally looks like the above photo every time he trots now. His two hooves almost touch and he goes way out with the others.

I've come to the conclusion that when I got him, he didn't feel good enough to do anything more than a walk and maybe trot for five secs until he was completely done. Now, he literally hates to just walk, which I'm working on because sometimes you have to walk,  but still. Not as bad.

What do y'all think?

5 comments:

  1. Wow! His trot has changed a lot. It's almost like an extended trot. I'm not sure why it's a lot better. Maybe it's because he's in better shape or something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right now it's more of a working trot. I feel like I'm riding an English horse sometimes. Lol!! Maybe I need to invest in an English saddle, hahaha!! He's definitely in better shape, woot. Love my muscly horsey.

      Delete
  2. I don't think he's trotting in that sunset picture, unless he's in the middle of a transition. His legs aren't moving in diagonal pairs, which is the only way they can trot. However - he looks fabulous in the last photo. Reaching underneath himself very well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it was more of an "I'm about to trot" photo, lol. It was the best older photo of us going faster than a walk. :)) Thank you! He secretly wants to be a dressage pony...I'm somewhat tempted to get an English saddle, haha!!

      Delete
  3. cute pictures! :) He's def forward in the last pic!

    ReplyDelete